When it comes to appetizers, there never seems to be a shortage of delicious options. Whether you’re health conscious year-round or trying to get a jump start on your New Years resolution, including a vegetable to the spread can give guests a healthy addition to their pile of bite-size goodies. If bringing a veggie platter doesn’t seem all that exciting, say hello to pesto-stuffed mushrooms. We know you’ll be asked for the recipe, which just so happens to be below.
Shopping List: Panko, Fresh parsley, Cremini mushrooms, Fresh basil, Fresh Parmesan cheese, Pumpkin seeds, Lemon juice
Check For: Butter, Olive oil, Garlic, Kosher salt
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
Author: Jennifer A. Welper, Wellness Executive Chef
Recipe Category: Appetizers & Snacks
Nutritional Information Per Serving
- 80 calories
- 4 g total fat
- 85 mg sodium
- 9 g total carbohydrate
- 1 g fiber
- 3 g protein
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 ½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 20 cremini mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat over to 350° F. Melt the butter. In a large bowl, combine panko, melted butter and chopped parsley; set aside.
- Wash the mushrooms and remove the stems. Line the mushroom caps upside down on a baking sheet.
- Prepare a food processor with the S-shaped blade. Place all filling ingredients in the food processor and process until evenly mixed.
- Generously stuff each mushroom with the filling mixture. Sprinkle approximately 1 teaspoon of the breadcrumb mixture on top of each filled mushroom. Pat down so the topping sticks to the mushrooms.
- Place mushrooms in oven and bake 10-15 minutes until filling and topping are golden brown.
Additional References and Notes:
- Save the remaining pesto filling for sauces.
- You can also add light mayonnaise to the pesto filling and use it as a sandwich spread.
- If you have a lot of fresh basil in your garden, make a large batch of pesto filling and freeze it.
Cook Smart, Eat Well
Healthy, flavorful meals are well within reach for anyone. This book is full of recipes that are easy to put together quickly with basic cooking techniques. Delicious kid friendly recipes, healthy desserts, snacks and side dishes. Being successful in the kitchen doesn’t mean you need to be a gourmet chef. Learn standard food preparation methods and cooking techniques for preparing a wide variety of tasty and healthy meals.Shop Now